Saturday, August 14, 2010

Stories from the beginning

It wasn't long after we moved into the place where we started to realize that we weren't alone. On one of our first mornings there, my mom and I were eating breakfast, when my dad matter of factually came downstairs and said "There was a Confederate soldier in the living room this morning" and walked away. Now, this was a big deal since my dad is a very "scientific" kind of person and never really encouraged the whole paranormal thing. When I was even younger, we lived in a large old house in Nebraska that was also very haunted and he never would say a word about it. Now, just randomly there is a soldier in the house.

I have never seen this soldier, and as far as I know I have never felt his presence since then. Perhaps he was just checking up to see who had moved in "next door." We aren't really sure- but there are several older graves in the graveyard marking soldiers from various wars, mostly WWII. Not exactly Civil War era, but you never know. There were records of houses in the area during that time, but we haven't really ever looked to find anything concrete.

Now, dad's house has never been one of those dark, scary houses you see in movies or on TVs that is constantly disturbed from the paranormal world. Actually, I usually felt very safe in the house, and even though I've always been a bit more sensitive to the spirit world, I rarely felt like I was being threatened, just mostly creeped out. The hauntings are very sporadic, and nothing will happen for months and then all of a sudden its a ghost frenzy. We have noticed that hauntings seem to spike when my parents changed part of the house, when someone was ill, or if there was a new visitor in the house. Or sometimes, for no reason at all.

Not a lot of people who come to my dad's house are scared, my dad has a few friends who have a tendency to not stop by in the area because they know its haunted, but generally its never been a big deal. Usually the only time I ever feel creeped out is in the middle of the night- mostly because it is dark and I don't have good eyesight so my contacts are out. Sometimes, you might go downstairs for a drink of water and get this feeling that someone or something is watching you. I try to ignore it and continue about my business, but I have looked around and haven't ever seen anything. It could just be one's active imagination, but I swear sometimes I'm not even thinking about ghosts or the dark and I will get that feeling. It is usually followed by a chill up the spine.

More stories to come. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment