Thursday, August 19, 2010

Probably the best ghost story ever told...

This is my favorite story from my dad's house, as told in the third person from my mom's personal account...

It was 1998, or somewhere around then, and my mom was home from work while everyone else in the house was at school or work. She had the flu, and spent the day resting in the master bedroom and reading, which was on the third floor of the house.

Sometime in the afternoon, while she was reading her book, she heard the door that connects the garage to the house open and shut. "Its my husband home on his lunch break, he's going to want to have lunch and I feel awful so I will just pretend I'm asleep" she thought. So she put her book aside, and quickly and quietly laid under the covers, shut her eyes, and pretended she was asleep. She heard her husband walk up the stairs and into the bedroom, and she said she could feel him standing there at the end of the bed watching her. He was there for awhile, and then she heard him walk out of the room and back downstairs. "Heh heh heh," she thought, "He fell for it. Now I won't have to eat lunch and he won't feel bad for waking me."

A short while later, the phone rang. "Ah, my husband will get it since he is home." The phone rang again. And again. Before the phone would ring again and get picked up by the answering machine, my mom rolled over and picked up the phone that was beside the bed.

"Hello?" Said mom.
"Hey honey. How are you feeling?" answered the voice on the phone.
(silence)
"Honey? Are you there?" said the voice.
"Who IS this??" said my mom shakily.
"Its your husband, of course! Don't you recognize my voice??"
(pause)
"Wait, where ARE you?" asked my mom.
"At work, honey. I'm on my lunch break so I thought I'd give you a call and see how you were doing." answered my dad.
(pause again)
"Wait... if you are there... THEN WHO WAS JUST HERE?!"

My dad to this day swears he was at work the whole day when this happened, and never came home for lunch, which was a 20 minute drive both ways from work. Needless to say, the incident freaked my mom out a bit, but she said that whoever it was that "visited" had a nice friendly presence, and perhaps was just curious who was home at that time of the day. Nonetheless, once she retired and was home during the day, if she heard doors open or footsteps in the house, she would always pretend she was asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment