Saturday, August 14, 2010

Introduction

This is a story of my dad's house, which was once my house too, and how it is freakin haunted.

The house itself is a very nice, normal looking tri-level house located on two and a half acres of land in Northwest Ohio, US. It was built sometime in the 70s, when tri-level houses where popular, and sits on a gentle sloping hill that overlooks a creek. Nothing TOO awful weird about it, well other than the fact that its built directly behind not one, but TWO graveyards. As a kid, I hated graveyards, and didn't want to move into this house, but it was "just perfect" and in a good school district, so in approx. 1994 my mother, father, my brother and myself moved there.

I believe there are several factors that influence the hauntings of dad's house. First of all, obviously is the graveyards. The graveyard on the opposite side of the road from the house is a recent graveyard, that is currently being used regularly for burials of locals that have passed. The one that is on the same side as dad's house is older, and besides a few burials here and there has not been used since the early 1900s. There are several families buried there, as well as many deaths that were close together, including whole families. There is also some erosion of the graveyard, and even though it is well tended now, it seems that it hasn't always been, as we have found toppled-over gravestones on the hill which is in a wooded area, and in respect of the dead we have always tried to bring the stones back to the graveyard, but there is no telling if the corpse itself has been disturbed.

My dad's property starts on the back side of the graveyard which is divided by a simple fence. Not soon after we moved to the house, my dad, who is a botanist and avid gardener, decided to have a garden by a part of the fence which I helped him tend at the time. I was around 9 or 10 years old when we moved there, and one time we were digging in the garden I found a row of teeth, which at the time my dad told me were horse's teeth. He told me many years later they weren't horse teeth... they were human teeth. *Shudder* I always wondered while after that first year he put seed over that garden and never tended it again.

Besides the graveyard, the plot itself has a bit of history. Even though it wasn't a homestead until the 70s, around the area and even in our own gardens we have found many Indian artifacts. Everything from arrowheads to bannerstones, and although we haven't ever felt any resentment or Native American spirits, it is all too possible that they can have something to do with the hauntings.

Thirdly, there is something chemically wrong with the area, and even though we haven't proved it yet, I fear it is toxic. When I was younger, it was not uncommon to find not only four-leafed clovers, but sometimes five and even six-leaved clovers around the house. (Ironically, I just found my little collection of them last time I was at the house- there seems to be close to 20 that I've kept from over the years.) I never really gave it a second thought until studying genetics in college that I realized the general rarity of the gene. Perhaps it was a somatic mutation?

In 2005, both of my parents were diagnosed with cancer, most notably my mother with a very rare and aggressive brain cancer. My dad is now in recession, but he has since been diagnosed with three different kinds of cancers. Not soon after my parents were diagnosed, our twenty-something year old cat also was diagnosed with brain cancer and around the same time my mother passed away so did he. Less than a year later, one of our neighbors from across the road was diagnosed with the same rare brain cancer as my mother, and no more than a few months after he passed away his wife was diagnosed with the same thing and followed him in death. Shortly thereafter, the neighbor directly behind my father was diagnosed with cancer (I think it was prostate or liver) and has since passed, and just last year another neighbor down the road was diagnosed with the same brain cancer as my mother and the other neighbors. Other people from the town nearby have had cancer as well, at an alarmingly high rate. Needless to say, I have been pushing my dad to move away from this place, for obvious reasons. And not just because his house is freakin haunted.

I moved out of the house around 2002, and sometimes go and visit my dad, who still lives there, from time to time. This blog will be my record of hauntings and unusual phenomena from his house, as told by me and hopefully with some help from my dad himself. He doesn't really like to share these kinds of things, but perhaps if he knew it was for the "greater good of the internet" he would be willing to share. Probably not, but its worth a try.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment